What is Mold?
Mold is a term for a range of multicelled fungi (as opposed to singled-celled fungi which are known as yeasts). Molds are everywhere in the natural environment, playing an important role in decomposition of organic matter. Most of these molds are harmless to human health. In fact most molds we never notice day to day. Of those we do recognize, some we may find annoying like those that make your food spoil, while others can be lifesaving, antibiotics for instance. But there are other forms that can be toxic to human health. Having a professional inspect your home if you find mold is a good idea. Mold can lurk in your own home or workplace, undetected if you don’t know what to look for.
- Mold spores need water to grow. When examining your house for mold infestations pay special attention to bathrooms, kitchens, windows, basements, crawlspaces, and attics.
– Mold feeds off of starches, – this includes the starch in wood, drywall, wallpaper, and carpets
– When you see mold in the home, appearing as small coloured patches, what you’re seeing is an entire colony – millions of spores. Left unchecked, this colony will continue to grow and cause serious damage to your home or health
– Mold colonies can often be identified you local mold removal professional by their colour: red, green, blue, white, grey, and black. If you see black mold in your home, this is reason for concern. Black mold, Stachybotrys chartarum, is known to cause serious respiratory illness, among other health problems. It must be dealt with quickly and carefully.
Human Effects of Toxic Mold Exposure:
New research is emerging everyday on the toxic effects of common household molds. In some areas of the US and Canada you cannot sell a home that has had a previous mold infestation without both disclosing the infestation and providing evidence of total remediation. A professional mold inspection report can put your mind at rest. Mold is serious stuff.
Black mold in particular has been linked to:
– Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
– Poor air quality
– Sick Building Syndrome
– The death of two pet cats who lived in a severely water damaged home
It is known to cause:
– Respiratory illness, especially in those with preexisting illnesses like asthma and allergies
– Systemic fungal infections, with children, seniors, and those with preexisting conditions at highest risk
The latest research suggests a connection between toxic mold in the home and neurological issues including behavioral problems and learning and developmental delays in children.
What to Do if You Suspect a Mold Infestation
- Do regular examinations of your house looking for those mold colonies that appear as splotches of colored dots or patches. Pay special attention to areas where moisture is an issue. If you find evidence of activity let Service Magic connect you with a professional mold removal expert near you.
– Damp homes with a mildewey smell is a tell-tale sign you have a problem; some people report smelling a ‘sickly sweet smell’
– If you have experienced flooding in your home, clean and dry the area quickly to inhibit mold growth, a dehumidifier may be useful. Check this area routinely for signs of infestation.
– If you find you have a mold infestation, the CDC and EPA suggests that you only clean up infestations no bigger than 10 feet by 10 feet, using a bleach and water solution in a well-ventilated area, while wearing an N95 mask. All other infestations should be dealt with by a professional. Service Magic can connect you with a local mold removal professional in your area.
– Mold infestations can be below the surface. If you suspect an infestation, call a mold inspector who has the expertise and equipment to diagnosis an issue. Don’t take chances.